Monday, August 23, 2010

Positive thoughts overcome fear....

We can use all of the prayers and positive thoughts we can get.
Friday evening at work I started to experience some more frequent "tightening." Saturday night, some physiological changes set in and on Sunday things proceeded to get worse. I called WCC (my doctor's office) and the on call MD wanted me to go to labor and delivery. So we arrived in L&D for r/o preterm labor, WTF?!? that was scary! Well, they were not able to rule it out! This tightening got worse and the "humps" I was seeing on the monitor corresponded with the intense rock hard tightening (I tell my preggo patients about every day!) I was indeed contracting and they admitted me overnight for monitoring, at this point I was 22 weeks. The following morning we had an ultrasound with MFM the girls looked great and then using the lovely transvaginal probe, she measured my cervix. I asked her how it looked knowing my last measurement was 3.1 and she replied, "I can't say much, but it doesn't look good. I couldn't even measure it." So the fear and the tears took over me and Joel. I knew what this meant, he was still slightly and so innocently clueless! Within minutes a perinatologist was in my room discussing an emergency cerclage, while I lied in fear in the trendelenberg position because one of the amniotic sacs were bulging. I went to the OR for the cerclage and it was successful. The spinal was an absolute nightmare! OMG, I thought they were going to have  to put me under, the anxiety was so high! My nurse Alissa was an angel and got me through along with the anesthesiologist and MD that kept checking on me. I just sang Christmas songs, what else?!?!

The problem was/is I continue to contract and they obviously don't want me contracting through the cerclage. The perinatologist at this time placed me on complete bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I know at 22 weeks, none of this is good. They kept telling me that this is serious, but hopeful, so we went with that! They kept me in the hospital until Friday evening. I am now home on complete bed rest. In between all of the emotional and physical turmoil of the threat of losing our daughters, we had another tragedy.


Joel's mom found peace and passed away Friday morning. Thank GOD for my amazing sister who took my place and did a much better job at it as wife for Joel. She not only took care of Joel and Hank but was a phenomenal, caring nurse to Judy during her last couple of days. We are so blessed to have her and my entire family who has stepped up to the plate to get Joel and Hank through this, along with our friends. My heart breaks because I feel so helpless for my husband and his father. There isn't much you can do from bed. I can't even attend the funeral. I know Judy would understand and want me to just sit tight and keep her granddaughters safe. Thank God for my incredible family and our friends who have been there for us.
We hit our first milestone~ 23 weeks on Sunday!!


I will be re-admitted on Sunday 8/29 for steroid injections (@ 24 weeks). They will monitor me for 48 hours and if my contractions are still "active" I will remain in the hospital on bed rest probably until delivery. If they are "quiet" I may be able to go home and stay on bed rest there. Needless to say every day we conquer is a blessing and I have tried not to let the fear take over me. **Positive thoughts!**


Thank you to everyone that has visited, called, baked, cooked and prayed and to my mom and sister for doing unspeakable things :o/ for their sister and daughter! We are so blessed!

2 comments:

  1. BLOGS are awesome and I look forward to reading EVERY DAY! I have kept a daily one for my kids since 2007. I always fear I will forget things they say or do or that something will happen to me and they won't know the "little things" that made them so incredibly special to me. My blog is the story of their lives. Keep writing!

    I say a prayer for you and the girls every day. I ran to the service tonight but Shane stayed with the kids and attempted to fix the flat tire on my Trailblazer. Always something. Keep your head up. Stay strong. And STAY PUT Wilde girls! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do.

    Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi and Joel, You are doing such a great job-keeping those girls safe and growing inside every day is such a milestone. Keep your heads high and your hearts full of faith and love. From one twin mom to another-this is the hardest part. Anything you need, just ask.
    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete